Making Life Work

Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm buying stock in Jack Daniels

My beautiful, naive eleven year old daughter got her first period yesterday. She is ecstatic. I am in shock.

I can never remember when mine first began - guess in my eyes it wasn't the blessed event that everyone else recalls with a glitter in their eyes while pulling up the exact date and time they became a woman. Please.

As she and I are picking up more supplies last night, we walk down the isle together, looking at the 1700 different brands and finally deciding on one. I grab two packages...perhaps secretly hoping I won't have to do this again for a while. Half way through this agonizing decision however (a minute into looking?) Leah starts jumping around and looking for the toy isle and disappears. Wow! The irony!

My little girl is just that. Her body might say woman but WTF...she is NOT and I don't think I want her to be for a long time. Last night my friend asked how I was! Now I know why! Although I am excited for the changes that inevitably lie ahead, I am reminded when I trip over the Barbie on her floor and neither she nor I am ready for all of that. How can this be? She is a beautiful girl with hips and boobs and now...THIS?

Moms hug your little girls today. Buy them a Barbie because before you know it you will be buying them Pamprin and stock in Jack Daniels for you.
posted by makinglifework at 7:39 AM

2 Comments:

Come on, admit it. I am wise!

She is such a beautiful wonderous little girl, and she is becoming such a lovely and amazing woman. Thank you so much for letting me be around to watch the transformation... for her and for you.

I love you both!

June 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

Hey Amy my 12 year old is almost there I feel the same way you do. I was reading your post and it brought tears to my eyes. Mine is right around the corner and I don't want it to come. Although my girls are my life and I would die for them in a seconds notice. I do enjoy them being self sufficent and independent. Hopefully all the things we teach them will be the right ones. Enjoy .

Shawn

June 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home